Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu" .

Source of Ktulu:

The term Cthulhu is mostly pronounced in many different ways, few name it "Cthoolhoo" or "Ktulu". But the most reliable pronunciation is "Cthulhu".

The "Call of klutu" by James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Cliff Burton and original Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine, this beautiful piece was mainly seen in the story "The Call Of Cthulhu" it's source of insperation by H.P. Lovecraf, This last one have a big influence on Metallica, "Thing That Should Not Be." was inspired by him as well.


Interpretation :


Kirk Hammett explained how he came up with the guitar melody in this track. "I tracked the whole album with Marshall amps and my Gibson Flying V," the Metallica axeman explained. "For that song, I knew that I wanted to come up with something really melodic at the beginning of the solo. At that point in the song, there's just a lot of riffing, a lot of heavy dynamics. I was thinking, 'Wouldn't it be nice if we had something somewhat melodic to lead into it?' Hence that little melody I played… It was our first instrumental, and it was an incredibly long guitar solo. It was like, 'How can I keep this solo going without making it sound like I'm just playing a bunch of notes?' So I thought that I would break it up into sections rather than play one long spew of notes..."
"....I used a modal approach, and there's also arpeggios that I play in the solo – they're actually 'broken arpeggios,'
from Yngwie Malmsteen. At that time, 1984, Yngwie was big in the guitar world; he influenced me into thinking that he was using all these different scales and different arpeggios, and really got me thinking about that kind of sound. I was also thinking chromatically: there's that one part at the top of the next cycle where I play a chromatic lick that goes all the way down the high E string with the wah pedal.
I actually wrote out the entire solo on pieces of paper, using my own notes and my own pet names for the individual licks. I would say that 80 percent of it was composed beforehand and 20 percent of it was improvised. When we revisited that song with the symphony on S&M, it was a lot of fun; it felt like I was visiting my guitar technique from, like, 15 years ago or something. I just don't play like that now – I'm a lot bluesier – so it was pretty trippy."

To sum up, this largely explained interpretation of Kirk made it clear that the link between both of the song and H.P Lovercraft was a massive process to put into beautifully made melodies and flawless notes, which gave birth to one of the most appealing sondtracks within  Metallica "Ride the Lightning" Album.


Link to the masterpiece : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1RTgznup5c


Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés